Google Analytics is a very powerful way of assessing how much traffic your website is getting. At the most basic level, it can give you a top-level number of how many visitors you’re getting and help you assess trends over time.
You can also drill down into the data to find out more - such as how many of your website visitors are accessing your site on tablets and smartphones and, for users finding your site through a search engine, what search phrases they have used.
Here’s how to enable Google Analytics tracking on your Singlepage website.
1. Before you start, please contact us to confirm that Google Analytics has not already been set up.
2. Access Google Analytics:
- go to http://www.google.com/analytics/
- click on the “Sign In” button (top-right of screen) and select "Google Analytics" from the drop-down
- if you already have a “Google account”, sign in with the email address and password
- if you use Gmail, or upload videos to YouTube, you will already have a “Google account”, and you can use the same email address and password to access all of Google’s services
- otherwise, click the “Create an account” link, and follow the process to set up a new Google account
- and then under “Start using Google Analytics”, click “Sign up” to set up a new Google Analytics account
- provide an “Account name” (e.g. your business name), “Website name” (again, this could be your business name), “Website URL” (your web address), and choose an “Industry Category” and “Reporting Time Zone” from the drop-down lists and check the “Data Sharing Settings”
- then click “Get Tracking ID” and, if you’re happy to do so, accept the Terms of Service Agreement
- on the next page, you should see a “Tracking ID” - it will look like this: UA-XXXXXXX-XX where X are numbers
- copy the tracking ID to your clipboard
3. Insert that Tracking ID in your Singlepage admin area:
- log in to your Singlepage admin area
- go to “Design and other regions”
- find the region called “Google Analytics”, and click on that name to open up the editing screen
- if the box already contains some tracking code, please don't amend it - please contact us to confirm how to proceed
- but if the box is empty, paste your Tracking ID into the box and click “Save changes”
Allow a couple of days for data to start to collect in a new GA account. Access the site yourself a few times or get friends and family to view the website, so there is definitely some website traffic to analyse! Then log in to GA and check that some traffic data has been collected.
4. Add Singlepage as a user of your Google Analytics account:
- we’ll be able to help you more in the future if we can also have access to this Google Analytics data
- please contact us for how to do this
If you have any queries at all about the process of setting up Google Analytics, please don't hesitate to contact us. Getting GA set up is a very important way to monitor the usage of your website and it will help you make better decisions about how to develop your website in the future. So we are very keen to help you get this working!